Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Treasures

The finds Mom and I made are not listed in any particular order. These are just pictures of what all we couldn't live without last weekend when we went shopping. We pretty much just shopped here around town. It was Sunday, so some of the spots we wanted to it were not open. The picture above is a very pretty blue quilt that was really in good shape. It had a very, very fair price as well. Mom took it home with her. Notice my old kerosene heater on my porch? It has now moved back into my garage, but it is in great shape. I found out when we were loading things to take to the show it still had kerosene in it - that was not a good thing!

The vintage postcard on the left was my single purchase at McClard's show. It came from a vendor who comes every year and who, evidently, does several shows a year. The little puppy's face is truly priceless.
Pitty Pat: The Fuzzy Cat has a little story behind it. I am always telling my Mom she is a cross between Prissy and Miss Pitty Pat from Gone With The Wind. Of course, Mom does not agree with me. She has a "fuzzy" black cat book that I have no idea how old it is that she has in her house. So, when I saw this and then saw the title, I just HAD to buy it for Mom.
I am all about vintage and/or primitive pictures right now, so the festive dressed little boy just had to come home with me.

All of these items are things Mom brought to sell and I now have claimed. The far left is an old glass ketchup bottle. Remember them? I barely do. In fact, I had forgotten they were ever in glass until Mom told me what that bottle was used for. The next is an old glass cottage cheese container. I never knew cottage cheese came in glass - it has always been in a plastic tub for my life. The blue drawer is something Mom picked up somewhere, maybe from a hardware store, but it will love even more adorable holding cards for me. Then, I had to have the unusual shaped flower frog for me. I have a fairly large collection of them as well. They are great to stand pictures in. If you have ever looked at my Etsy or Artfire stores, you can see I use them all the time in my pictures.

Mom is all about feed sacks right now. I was holding this one up for her and had this side facing me (it is the back). I immediately told her she had to buy this feed sack no matter what. I mean, seriously, how adorable is that little girl??

Didn't I say Mom was all into feed sacks? This is the stack of the ones she bought that day. The scale was given to me earlier this year by someone who knows I like old things.
Last, but not least, is a red and white quilt Mom bought. I had seen it right before Mother's Day and had thought about buying it for her. I thought it was fairly reasonably priced, but I did not buy it for her. Honestly, I didn't want to pay what it cost and then have her cut it up to make stuff. I thought it was in better shape than that. I should mention, Mom and I are GREAT quilt hunters, and we find some GREAT buys (as low as $15) on them. Anyway, this quilt was still there and Mom snatched it up.

One of my most favorite things to do is to go antique shopping with my Mom. I can barely remember going to garage sales with my Mom and my Grandma when I was little. They would give me change and I would buy depression glass. I am sure I got some other stuff because I am pretty positive I acted up a little and I kind of think Grandma may have spoiled me just a little (I was the first grandchild in my defense). It is always fun to find a bargain or some other great find, but some days just going and looking is just as much fun. We both enjoy old things, so it definitely something we enjoying doing together. I am much more into primitives than my Mom and we have distinct tastes. I am very thankful we are able to do this together. It is amazing she still shops with me after she has to put up with me. Love you Mom!!

3 comments:

Betty said...

Great finds Lisa and I just love the posting about you and your Mom enjoying precious time together doing something you both love!

Off to check out your new Etsy listings.

Debbie H said...

What cool finds, TFS! Glad you both had such a good time and such a nice day.

Deb H

Anonymous said...

Once again, you found really neat stuff!!! It is great you and your mom both love doing this. Keep on keeping on!! Deb W